Updates: iOS 10.3, tvOS 10.2, and watchOS 3.2:
Apple releases iOS 10.3
IMPORTANT: iOS 10.3 introduces the new file management software. This is a major event, and you really should ensure that you have backed up your device before installing this update. To be sure, consider even 2 backups!. The install will take longer than normal updates, and the entire file storage area (I can't say 'disk', can I?) will be reorganised. If your storage is fairly full, this may take even longer, as all the files are reshuffled in the smallish remaining area.
iOS 10.3 introduces new features including the ability to locate AirPods using Find my iPhone and more ways to use Siri with payment, ride booking and automaker apps.
Early adopters are reporting a 600MB download, and update times from 20 minutes to over an hour. (Plug in your device during the update - don't rely on the battery!) After the update, early adopters report their devices appear snappier - this is probably not due to the new file system, although the performance may benefit from the file reorganisation - the snappier response is probably because Apple has tweaked many of the system animations in iOS 10.3.
Find My iPhone
- View the current or last known location of your AirPods
- Play a sound on one or both AirPods to help you find them
- Support for paying and checking status of bills with payment apps
- Support for scheduling with ride booking apps
- Support for checking car fuel level, lock status, turning on lights and activating horn with automaker apps
- Cricket sports scores and statistics for Indian Premier League and International Cricket Council
- Shortcuts in the status bar for easy access to last used apps
- Apple Music Now Playing screen gives access to Up Next and the currently playing song’s album
- Daily curated playlists and new music categories in Apple Music
Other improvements and fixes
- Rent once and watch your iTunes movies across your devices
- New Settings unified view for your Apple ID account information, settings and devices
- Hourly weather in Maps using 3D Touch on the displayed current temperature
- Support for searching “parked car” in Maps
- Calendar adds the ability to delete an unwanted invite and report it as junk
- Home app support to trigger scenes using accessories with switches and buttons
- Home app support for accessory battery level status
- Podcasts support for 3D Touch and Today widget to access recently updated shows
- Podcast shows or episodes are shareable to Messages with full playback support
- Fixes an issue that could prevent Maps from displaying your current location after resetting Location & Privacy
- VoiceOver stability improvements for Phone, Safari and Mail
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/HT201222
Apple releases tvOS 10.2
tvOS 10.2’s enhancements include accelerated scrolling in apps, support for the Device Enrollment Program, and better mobile device management in general. “It should also offer VideoToolbox, a framework that lets developers tap into hardware-accelerated encoding and decoding.
Apple releases watchOS 3.2
watchOS’ new SiriKit support should expand the voice commands an Apple Watch supports to third-party apps, for instance letting people send a message or hail a ridesharing service. The Theater Mode kills sound and disables raise-to-wake, preventing a Watch from becoming an audience distraction.
© 2017 Canterbury Apple Users; SeniorNet Mac Inc.